How reusable learning objects are revolutionizing digital publishing
As a digital publisher, are you constantly looking for ways to make content development and its accessibility more advanced, convenient and crisp? Then reusable learning objects or RLOs are what you need to give your publishing scene a whole new edge. As you already know, a RLO is essentially a particular type of online instruction which can be used, shared or scaled multiple times from a central digital repository. RLOs are mini learning units which don’t overwhelm a learner with excess content in one go. Each RLO addresses a single learning objective and can be easily changed, updated or aggregated. As a publisher, you would naturally want your content to be easy for educators and effective for learners, right? So find out how RLOs have radically changed the scene of online learning and how you can make the most of these.
- RLOs come with Metadata which enables authors to look for existing content without having to create it afresh. This not only saves a lot of time, but also avoids the situation where numerous authors create the same content.
- With RLOs, content can be delivered in various formats. It can range from web pages to classroom handouts, online technical manuals and PDA or Personal Digital Assistant. So authors and educators can pick the format of their choice with ease, for training purposes.
- Trainings can now be reconstructed in new and unique ways to address the needs of different students, thanks to RLOs. And the process will hardly need any effort or retyping.
- For situations where learners don’t need to study the entire course, RLOs can prove to be very useful. Learners can simply access particular knowledge bytes depending on their type of training.
- Learners can now access a course at their own sweet pace, at any point of time and from anywhere. Credit goes to RLOs again.
- RLOs enable the creation of personalized courses which can cater to the distinct needs of each learner.
- Any educational institute or professional organization can curb training duplication costs with RLOs. This is because; the primary content for RLOs is created just once.
- Since RLOs provide small units of learning at one time, it enhances the effectiveness of education.
- A lot can be saved on training development in the long term with RLOs, since content duplication is minimized.
There is no doubt that RLOs or reusable learning objects are the future of e-learning. They can not only benefit publishers, but educators and learners too, and make education a simpler, more engaging and more interesting experience.